Tuesday, October 14, 2014

INMQ 2014 Challenge, Storm at Sea Honeymoon Quilt and the WSQ Spokane show

Here we are again at the annual Inland Northwest Machine Quilter's Challenge. This year it was a simple enough piecing with lots of negative space to have fun.

After being in Scotland for a couple of weeks this summer, plaid kept coming to mind based on the piecing design. A few additional ideas came to life after taking the Cindy Needham class this summer in Spokane.

Thanks to Bottom Line and So Fine! threads, here it is. I failed to get an overall shot of the quilt upon completion of binding (a quick ship it timing issue) so I'll post one of those after the show.



Backside:


It will be at the Spokane show, October 17-19, 2014. I hope you can come out and enjoy!

I've also put these pieces in the show that I've blogged about in the past. The theme this year is "My Heart Belongs to Quilting".

Mi Amore 
This will also be offered as a class in January 2015 in Grand Coulee.

















Zig Zag Love --on theme again and made this year as part of the Red and White Challenges. Hope you'll check them out and vote! 10/14-24.
















Recent challenge pieces for Piece 'n Pal Quilt Guild - Republic.
Red Starry Night  (15"x15")                     

Also in the Red and White Challenges voting linkup. Hope you'll check them out and vote! 10/14-24.











Sunshine Makes the Roses Grow (15"x15") Another Piece 'n Pals 2014 Challenge Piece






















Harvest Time - motivated by WWVQuilt Festival's "A Wrinkle in Time" theme (later realizing that was a book and this might only marginally work for the theme challenge....I did come up with another design - Tesseract Prism but wasn't sure I would pull off the concept in time so didn't submit an entry to the WSQ show).





























and my latest ...a UFO of over 5.5 years ....this Storm at Sea design turned into 3 hearts and some turtles. The storm part has no correlation, seriously, but in EQ7 there is a Storm at Sea design that has 3 hearts, and while on our honeymoon (2009) I saw it and thought I'd play with it a little bit, adding the turtle by shading various pieces of the 'storm-at-sea' design. We saw turtles while in Hawaii on our honeymoon. May 2012 Storm at Sea as a design was taught at the Krazy Horse Quilt Show pre-class. So, I got out my design and started the cutting and piecing and continued working on it while my husband took a part-time job in California. In 2013 Toni Whitney taught the Pendleton show pre-class...but alas I couldn't make it. After teaching my own fusible applique class recently using Toni Whitney designs, I decided to incorporate her turtle pattern into the quilt as an applique in the border. I'm very pleased to have gotten this put together finally and include it in the show. I put in the entry before the center was even pieced together but knew the theme of this year's show should motivate me to get it done. I think I was crazy...but here it is! Whew! "Our Honeymoon Quilt"


I didn't even get a full picture of it because it was finished in the middle of the night and delivered to the messenger before dawn so it could get into the dropoff location for the show in time.

Ah well...hope you can come to the show and check them all out. Friday and Saturday includes voting opportunities.

Update: I was able to get this full photo at the show.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the Spokane show doesn't have the limits like our WW show does. I wish I had time to get up there. I'll have to watch for the full sized pictures of your quilts after you go to the Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous!!!! I can't pick a favorite, but I do love the quilting in that first one.

    ReplyDelete