Sunday, November 13, 2011

Design Wall / BOM's Away / {Sew} Modern Monday

On my design wall is the progress on the 'bear' block in my 'Oddie's Wild Nature' quilt. Had a few too many interruptions today to get it done, but progress is happening.


I also finished my one-fabric table topper. Just glad to have it done. This technique is to take a border print, cut it up and re-piece it back together creating the blocks you see in the center and the cornerstones. Some have four triangles, some have 8 triangles to make up the block. Typically you would make a much larger quilt and so the center would be repeated to make a nice effect. These were blocks made to demonstrate the concept at a guild meeting a year or so ago, so just trying to use what I had and make something from it. I think the back side especially will be great for game night and give a little bit of protection to the table. I love the back! :-)



When I saw the Thanksgiving Dinner Challenge, I remembered some unfinished potholders that I could get out and finish! Here are two that I have finished so far. The loop method on these is a new idea that I picked up from Prudent Baby.


I quilted this on my domestic machine and stitched just around each heart. The backing is fabric specially designed for ironing boards or potholders. I used 3 layers of warm & natural cotton batting in the center.



This tree is paper pieced. I created this during a Christmas vacation with my mom and sister to teach them how to paper piece a few years ago. I pulled the block out of my cubbies and all the fabric was with it to finish this up. I stitched in the ditch.


Normally I back potholders with colorful fabric, but I wanted to quilt these in such a way that I thought the silver stuff would highlight the quilting too.

The deadline is Nov. 17--you still have time if you'd like to join in. There is a giveaway drawing. http://www.sewsweetness.com/2011/10/thanksgiving-dinner-challenge.html

Received a couple of boxes of pantographs from another local long-arm quilter today. She does only computerized work now. I haven't even had a chance to look through them yet, but thank you Lynn at Thread & Bolts. She's remodeling the shop and will have a big open house on Thurs. and Fri. this week. If you're in the area, you should stop by and check it out.

More Design Walls indexed at Patchwork Times.
More BOM's Away indexed at What-a-Hoot Quilts.
More {Sew} Modern Monday finishes indexed at Canoe Ridge Creations.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got the pantos from Lynn. I'm amazed at the CHANGE going on over at Thread and Bolts. They have worked their hind ends off. Your potholders are nice too. I have never heard of the Thanksgiving Challenge. Have to check that out too in all my spare time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted over there, two days ago I just made another set of pot holders, wonder if that counts ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects! I'd love to see that Wild Nature quilt when it's finished. I have a feeling it's gonna be amazing! Hope you got a lot accomplished this week! :o)

    ReplyDelete