Monday, August 22, 2011

Design Wall / BOM's Away Monday - Aug 22

I can finally show you my McCall's Quilt Design Star Challenge #2. Be sure to read my last post that chronicles my design journey and explains "Pulsed Illumination". The voting link is to your right! Just click on the image and it will take you to the voting page for my quilt. Click on the button 'click to vote'. You can also scroll through all quilts (15) from that page as well. There is a section at the bottom to leave comments. They must review the comments and then post them once a week or something as they don't show up immediately. Thanks for your comments and daily votes through September 8, 2011.


Here is my version of EQ's BOM - August Amusement. Just the name of it made me think of amusement parks...and with my color scheme, maybe adding a border print to create a kaleidoscopic concept. I strip pieced the center sides, used square-in-a-square technique for the corners and fussy cut the corner and center blocks and center setting triangles. The center setting triangles use a Jinny Beyer border print fabric.

If you're following my Jinny's Garden BOM--I blogged about it last week, so click on older posts to see the details from WIP Wed.

And I hope you're all considering joining me on a trip to Ireland in June 2012. There are incentives if you sign up by September 1. A non-quilters program has been added, so you can take along other friends who may not have your same enthusiasm for quilting, but would love to travel to Ireland with you.

The other exciting event in my life is having a former colleague and friend's daughter (Jordan) with me for the week to learn how to quilt. We're doing a four-patch posie, using Kaye England's 'English Tiles' pattern. When Jordan was 8 y.o. I was at their home in California and took her with me to a local quilt shop that was having a big sale of fat quarters. I had found a fabric with roses on it (they live on Roses Road). I suggested that she pick out fat quarters that would coordinate with the fabric. I figured that I would make her a quilt at some point. Well, it has been 5 years and this spring I suggested to her mother that if she was interested, Jordan could come for a week and make it herself! Fortunately, she was keen to give it a try and so here we are. She doesn't want to show even her mother her step by step progress, but I'll blog when we're done with the progress and results. She is very gifted with spatial perception and is doing great for a 13 y.o.!! Some adults would be put to shame frankly. Yesterday she got the borders and strips cut and pieced together, all of the four-patch posies cut and put together and is working on framing the blocks as I type. I'm so proud!

More Design Walls over at Patchwork Times and BOM's AWAY at Whatahoot!




2 comments:

  1. Love what you did with the EQ BOM, and how fun to have a student! Slipping over to the challenge now. :) Sure do love your design!

    ReplyDelete