Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday DW/BOM's AWAY/BIG NEWS

Finalist
Usually on Monday's it is Design Wall day where Judy @ Patchwork Times indexes everyone who wants to show what is on their design wall. Today I can't show you what is on my design wall because it is a secret until later in June, when the Round 1 Challenge of the 2011 McCall's Quilt Design Star Contest will be visible. Yes! I got into round 1--presumably because some of you voted for me. Thank you! I hope you will follow my blog so that I can keep you informed on when and where to vote next. At least two of us who post regularly on her index are in this Round 1! So...watch for us and please vote!!

Lynette over at whatahootquilts suggested I post my WIP - BOM from last week as eye-candy for her BOM's Away Monday. The Electric Quilt Company is having a BOM challenge this year. Do each block that they provide the project file and PDF downloads (in case you don't have EQ) and then design a setting at the end of the year for them. The setting is the challenge part ....so details will be forthcoming once we get through the year. I think you could still jump in on this if you're interested.

EQ BOM - I'm on track!
Psychedelic America
(my version of Marti Michell's American Beauty BOM)
Jinny Beyer BOM 2010 - Block 1
When I saw that Lynette is working on the Wild Rose Cottage quilt, it reminded me of Marti Michell's American Beauty 2010 BOM that I did, but in batiks! Makes it look totally different. Lynn @ Threads and Bolts organized last year's block lottos for us at the guild and challenged members to complete the quilt by April 2011. At the May guild meeting, members voted for their favorite completed quilt. I received an autographed copy of The Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman for my winner. It was really fun to do it as a challenge to myself with just a fat quarter pack of Hoffman batiks.

Then I remembered that I have finished another BOM top this year --the Baskets from our guild's Block Lottos in 2006 (below). It still needs to be quilted. And I'm just starting Jinny Beyer's 2010 BOM. I plan to go in June to my mom's to work on it a bit more seriously. Here is Block 1 (right).
Basket BOM from our guild's 2006 Block lottos
still need to quilt this one, but finished the blocks this year.

I've got several BOM projects in my 'to do' pile. You think I just loved these. It is probably more that I get suckered into starting one and don't get them finished that they are still on the 'to do' pile. My goal is to get several done this year...I'm making good progress.

But until the McCall's Design Star Challenge(s) are over I won't be adding any to this list of accomplishments. I look forward to seeing what BOM's you're working on and I hope you'll follow along and support me in this journey. Thank you so much!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I just love your batik version of that Marti Mitchell BOM. How exciting that you're a finalist at McCall's contest!! Can't wait to see your quilt for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see what you are designing...I hope it has batiks!

    ReplyDelete